Forums Community AxCrypt 2.0 and 1.7 Reply To: AxCrypt 2.0 and 1.7

#3479 Reply

Andy

Hi Svante,

First of all, I want to thank you for having provided one of the best (free) programs available for encrypting files. When I first found it and looked at alternatives to compare, I found nothing that comes close to doing what I wanted and so simply and that includes paid software. I have been a long-time user of AxCrypt and rave about it to anyone who expresses any interest in encrypting files. I felt that the program worked exactly as I would want and had all the features I wanted and was very easy to use too. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was the best thought out program for it’s purpose that I’ve come across. Having said this though, I have to admit that I was quite disappointed when I recently downloaded and installed version 2 after upgrading to Windows 10. I completely understand the logic behind using just one password for all encrypted files and was already doing this with version 1 (even though I had the option to use different passwords), but I really didn’t like that the password I used to sign up with became the password for encrypting files. I read your explanation where you say that the password “is never stored on the server, and the connection to the server is always encrypted, so while the password in fact does travel over the Internet it does so safely.”, but this still seems to me to be completely unnecessary. What I mean by this, is that I don’t understand why I can’t just sign up for an account using one password, but then choose another password to encrypt all the files on my PC. I also understand your explanation about the premium functions and sharing files with people without passwords, but if these are functions I do not need, then why can I not have the option I stated – to use a password just on my PC. I have no problem whatsoever having to create an account or to even pay to have the option I described, so this is my only issue. From what some others have said on this forum, it seems I am not alone in my dislike of having the same password for signing up and encrypting, so I really do hope that in the future you incorporate at least this one suggestion for users like myself who were completely satisfied with version 1. Until then however, I have uninstalled version 2 and have gone back to my beloved version 1!

All the best

Andy

P.S. I tried to donate years ago when I first used and got to really like AxCrypt, but if I remember correctly, you only accepted PayPal then and I didn’t have a PayPal account, so thought I’d donate if I ever open an account or you also accept credit/debit card payments – whichever came first. When I checked your site again recently, I saw that you now also accept cards, but when I clicked on the PayPal/Payson button , it said “Page could not be found”! I went to your new site, but could not find any option to donate on there, so couldn’t donate on there either. You don’t make it easy to give you money my friend – please help me!