Forums Community some suggestions for AxCrypt Reply To: some suggestions for AxCrypt

#3590 Reply

Svante
Keymaster

Hi Sputnik!

Actually, the motivation for removing the self-decrypting option was not connected to Free vs. Premium as such. I just didn’t (and still don’t) think that it has sufficient merit.

That it’s not just to re-introduce it does have some connection to Free vs. Premium in the sense that we’re still very resource-constrained, so there’s a natural limit to what can be done in a given amount of time. If I had limitless resources, I would probably just add it back, since it would then be easier to do so than to defend the (still in my mind correct) decision to not include┬áit in the first place.

Another similar issue that went the other way is AES-128 vs. AES-256. For the vast majority of encryption users (not just AxCrypt) in the world, there’s absolutely no difference in achieved security. However, AES-256┬áis very much in demand, and it does not hurt (anymore – it used to due to performance reasons) so there it is!