Forums Bugs & issues Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt Reply To: Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt

#4735 Reply

Richard Long

“On the other hand, you should have noticed that as you opened old V1 files, and was prompted, that just happened the once – since they are automatically upgraded to V2, and with the new sign in password.”

Unfortunately not true Svante. Here’s an example of how I set up V2:

1. V1 files use PassPhrase=XYZ

2. Installed AxCrypt2 and Created ACCOUNT password = ABC

3. Opened V1 file and prompted for ACCOUNT signin password = ABC. Then prompted again, this time for file PassPhrase=XYZ

4. Opened a second V1 file and it opened without any prompting assuming that the PassPhrase I had for V1, i.e., XYZ was satisfied by the 2nd prompt in step 3 above. And so on.

I have no clue where the ACCOUNT signin password fits in with the oping and encryption of files that depend on a PassPhrase.

Please explain how the signin ABC password is used in file decryption and encryption vs. the file PassPhrase. I took the signin step as just an additional security step to notify AxCrypt that I am the user and nobody else. Are you telling me the files are being encrypted/decrypted with the signin password and not the PassPhrase (which was different)?