Forums Community Basic vs Premium "secure folders"

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Stephen Steinberg

Just starting, NICE WORK-   trying to understand the function of “secure folders” in basic vs Premium

1. the MyAxCrypt folders that are generated by the installation, or by using the “advanced”  “add a secure folder” function-  all seem to function in the same way—- by right clicking, I can encrypt the files within the folder;  if I drag and drop into the “secure” folder, the file does not appear to encrypt unless I either right click and encrypt it directly, or do the same for the parent folder-

my questions is —am I missing some function the “Premium” provides?   what action above will go away with the end  of the premium trial?

thank you

#3549 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

What should happen with the secured folders feature is that if you create a new file there, AxCrypt will ‘see’ it and allow you to encrypt it with a single click of the ‘Broom’, which should turn red. You can also do this from the menu.

#3555 Reply

Stephen Steinberg

thanks-  is that a “premium” function that will go away after the trial period, or the “standard” function?…the real questions being:    When the trial is over and I’m working with the “standard” version ….if I “right click” on a folder, will there be the option of encrypting/decrypting  all of the files within that folder? OR….. If I “select” all, will I be able to “batch mode” encrypt/decrypt?

thank you

#3556 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Stephen,

You can still encrypt many files in a single operation with the Free version, for example via right-click.

Svante

#3916 Reply

Gerald Lerman

To take this feature a little further, I would like to see the secure folders automatically encrypt and optionally rename files. I want to set up some automated copy processes and would like the files to be encrypted in the destination directory when copied. Any plans for this?

Thanks.

#3940 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Gerald,

We originally implemented Secure Folders like that. Unfortunately, there’s no way for AxCrypt to know ‘who’ or ‘why’ a file is created in the secured folder, and this caused serious problems.

A simple exampe:

You start Word, type some text, save your document in a ‘Secure Folder’. Boom – it get’s encrypted automatically. Word is now very confused, but it’s perception is that the file it just saved, just got deleted. Which it did. But it doesn’t have a clue that it’s now in AxCrypt-encrypted format.

Many similar situations caused us to abandon the automatic encryption, and instead have the ‘clean up’ broom so *you* decide when it’s time to encrypt the new files.

While we’re not there yet, plans include a really good command line AxCrypt that could be used for scenarios like yours, but for now, sorry – we don’t support it fully.

#10713 Reply

Ryan

Hi Svante,

Is there any news on the ability to perhaps automate encryption methods &/or use command line?

I’m generally enjoying Axcrypt 2. And I appreciate the simplicity of the application to provide accessibility to all users, but I would love to see advanced features open as a choice for users who would like to take further advantage of such a potentially powerful tool. E.g. automation, further preference settings and such.

#10714 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Ryan,

We usually work with different “themes” of development. So, for example, for one period we did the mobile apps, then the Mac desktop. Currently, we’re focusing on business administration functionality mostly – so right now adding the command line and SDK is not top priority. As for preference settings, we’re really trying to keep that to a minimum…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Basic vs Premium "secure folders"
Your information: