Forums Help & support How Can I Email and Encrypted File ?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sandra

When I attach a file that is apparently encrypted,  as a test I sent it to myself at a different email addresss.

It did NOT ask me for a password !     Yet it indicates it is encrypted.   However, when I click on it the file opens and everything is there — in plain view.

What am i doing wrong?    I use Chrome / gmail.

#3854 Reply

Ralf

Hello,
    while you’re logged in to AxCrypt 2, it’s not a bug – it’s a feature. When you double click an encrypted file, it will be temporarilly decrypted and encrypted, when you close the file.

Ralf

#3884 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Sandra,

Thanks Ralf for your input. A little more additional info:

AxCrypt is at it’s core, a password based file-encryption software. A file is always openable with the password used by the original encrypting person.

So, if you encrypt a file, share it with a different e-mail (that you control), sign in to that e-mail, download the file and open it in a situation where AxCrypt is running and you’re signed in with the password that was originally used – you can open it.

In your likely scenario, it’s even more easy – since you’re sending it to your self, of course you can open it if you’re signed in to AxCrypt just as Ralf states – it’s still the same file (or rather an identical copy). Just because you share it, does not mean you cannot still open it yourself.

Svante

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: How Can I Email and Encrypted File ?
Your information: