Forums Help & support No longer opensource…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Luiz

So, just to confirm my understanding of the change to the new version/site: AxCrypt is no longer open source, right?

I think, concerning to cryptography, this is a big problem …

#2999 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Luiz!

Yes, it’s still very much open source. In many ways more so, since the build environment is much easier to create (you just need Visual Studio, no need to download and configure dependencies).

Please visit https://www.bitbucket.org/axantum/axcrypt-net/ do download the full source code as a zip or why not create a fork of the repository?

Regards,

Svante

#3009 Reply

Luiz

Hello Svante,

Thank you for your quick – as usual – reply.

I guess I do not understand something: AxCrypt now has a premium paid version, but the code is still open source. I can then compile the code myself and have a premium version?

Regards,

Luiz

#3067 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello, sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, if you download the code and change it, you can have a premium version as far as the local capabilities are concerned. It is entirely within the license agreement (GPL).

However, parts of the functionality is server based, and human based (password manager, direct support, key sharing, etc). These will of course not be available with a hacked version of AxCrypt.

We’re hoping that the free version delivers enough functionality to be really useful to very many, and that the Premium version delivers enough additional value to be good value for the money, for those who wish to support the project and/or want to have access to all those features with full support and maintenance from us.

Regards,

Svante

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: No longer opensource…
Your information: