Forums Help & support problem with uncryption

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ellie Di. 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

yann

Hi,

I’ve installed AxCrypt just for a test and I got registered with a password.

Then I tried to crypt a folder by right-clicking. Now when I want to uncrypt it, it asks me for a password that I’ve never chosen.. So how can I fix it please.

Thank you.

#4276 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello yann,

This does not sound right. Can you please send a screen shot of the situation?

#4277 Reply

yann

crypted folder

#4279 Reply

yann

I need a password I've never chosen...

#4281 Reply

yann

On the second screenshot, I need a password that I’ve never chosen before..

I tried with my account one but it doesn’t work saying “You are already logged with this password! Please give the original password for this file”

#4322 Reply

yann

Hi,

I sent you screen shots that you asked me but since then I had no response…
    Could you help me to recover my files because I need it a lot !

Thank you.

#4323 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello yann,

Sorry for not responding instantly. Please understand that these are forums for free support of a free software.

Here’s what’s happened (all times are UTC, you are apparently in UTC-5, so subtract 5 hours for your local time):

2016-10-03 12:54:38 – You download AxCrypt.
    2016-10-03 12:59:29 – You set your first password.
    2016-10-03 13:07:xx – You encrypt the files in question.
    2016-10-03 14:06:22 – You try to sign in again, but fail because you did not remember the password.
    2016-10-03 14:08:18 – You give up trying to remember the password, and reset the password to your second password.

So, when you say “I need a password that I’ve never chosen before” this is unfortunately incorrect. You chose it at exactly 2016-10-03 12:59:29. Then you chose another one, which does not work for your files, at exactly 2016-10-03 14:08:18 .

You need to remember what this first password was, since that’s what your files are encrypted with!

Sorry, but this is a very clear-cut case of a forgotten password.

#4332 Reply

yann

Thank you for your reply.

I do understand what it is happening but even if I could remember the first password, I would not be able to access to my files because the program is bugging.. (cf. screen shot)

I only can accept that I lost my files..

#4343 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello yann,

Please try again. We had a minor server issue that has now been addressed. It has nothing to do with your original issue.

#4350 Reply

yann

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it works now.

My problem is funny and absurd in the same time because I’ve changed a password because I didn’t remember it. And now I have to remember this password (that I forgot) to access to my encrypted files… Unfortunately I think it is an endless issue.

It could be better if there was only one main password to log in and to manage encrypted files/folders..

Yann

#4354 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello yann,

I’m sorry that you’ve forgotten the password – but the thing is there is “only one main password to log in and to manage encrypted files/folders”!

Unfortunately that’s precisely the password you’ve forgotten. We do many things to reduce the risk of this happening, but still it does in a very few cases.

We show the password when you set it by default, since usually you’re alone when you do set the password, and then you get visual confirmation that you’re typing what you’re expecting to type. Then we make you type it twice. Finally, you have to type it once again a third time to sign in and start encrypting files. We do try to make it as safe as possible, but in the end we’re offering strong password based encryption. If the password is lost, so is the data. That’s what encryption is for.

#4355 Reply

yann

Thank you Svante for you support.

I really understand what you’re saying. But my point is : when I changed my password, I thought it would have changed also the password for my encrypted files. So I shouldn’t remember a password I did forget ;)

The fact is now I have 2 passwords : the new one I’m using to log in and the old one (that I forgot) to manage my encrypt files..

Anyway, I thank you for your time and your support.

Yann

#4356 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi yanni,

Well, the thing is, you *reset* your password – you did not *change* it. If you had *changed* it (which does require knowledge of the old one), the existing encrypted files would indeed have been decryptable with the new password!

I guess we’ll have to be even more clear about the meaning of password reset. But then again, no additional harm was done by the password reset.

We do try, I really have to say this! We write a big warning in red text on the password reset page:

Password Reset Warning

Still, we’ll have to try harder. Thanks for your input!

#4358 Reply

yann

Ok that’s now clear.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: problem with uncryption
Your information: