Forums Help & support secured folders

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Marco Teunisse

Dear reader,

I’m looking for encryption software to encrypt folders. Axcrypt has that functionality. However if I would like to use that folder with serveral other users (folder will be on the network) how do I accomplish that? I know there is the option of secured folders. But how do other users get access?

regards Marco

#3518 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Marco,

Once the actual encrypted files are shared via a shared folder for example, you use the ‘Key Sharing’ function to enable the others to open the files. You can set ‘Key Sharing’ either on a Secured Folder, or on a specific file.

The ‘Key Sharing’ function is found by right-clicking the file or folder in the AxCrypt 2 Recent Files or Secured Folders window.

#3711 Reply

Peter

Hello Svante,

Thanks for clarifying this issue. However if I share keys from a secured network folder the folder disappears from the list and all files within this folder are decrypted.

Regards
    Peter

#3712 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Peter,

That sounds very strange, and is possibly a bug. Can you describe in more detail the sequence of operations, and even better illustrate with screen shots?

It is correct that if you remove the folder from the list, the files are decrypted – but I do not see how it can without you actually requesting that. Unless of course there’s a serious programming error here.

#3713 Reply

Peter

Hi Svante,

Thank you for your quick response.

Here are the steps to duplicate my issue:
    1. I encrypt files in a network folder by right clicking on the folder and choose encrypt2. In AxCrypt I add this folder to the Secured Folders
    3. I use the context option ‘Share Keys’ to share this folder
    4. The secured folder disappears from the list. The files stay encrypted

When I try to add the network folder directly as secured folder it automatically disappears after some seconds.

Thanks
    Peter

#3716 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

We’re not 100% sure, but we did some testing on Key Shares on a network folder, and while we could not reproduce your particular issues, we did run into some other things which we have now addressed.

If all goes well, there will be another build available within an hour or so (2.1.1410 or higher), with that fix. Before continuing with your case, I’d like to see if these changes improve or change the situation for you.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by  Svante.
    #3719 Reply

Peter

I upgraded to 2.1.1409.0 but still have the same issue.

Regards
    Peter

#3720 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Right, the fix is as mentioned in 2.1.1410 or higher.

#3722 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Ok, we have now published 2.1.1413 which at least addresses some issues similar to yours. No promises though!

#3737 Reply

Peter

Thank you for your quick update.

It’s getting close. I can add secured folders and I can share keys with other people now. However, if I sign out and in again the folders disappear again out of the list.

Regards
    Peter

#3739 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. When you say ‘Sign out and in again’ – do you mean just AxCrypt, or do you sign out of Windows?

Svante

#3740 Reply

Peter

Hi Svante,

I mean just AxCrypt. Btw, on another test PC I still got the behavior of the disappearing folder in the ‘Secured Folder’ list.

Regards
    Peter

#3741 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Ok, thanks Peter. I’ll look into that asap. I know this works for other users, so there’s something fishy here. You’re signing in with the same AxCrypt ID? Our support for multiple users on the same machine is not quite there yet.

#3745 Reply

Peter

I am testing on 2 machines with 2 different IDs. However, the Windows account I’m using is the same.

Thanks
    Peter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: secured folders
Your information: