Forums Bugs & issues Axcrypt2 (not Premium) file reverts to earlier saved version when archived Reply To: Axcrypt2 (not Premium) file reverts to earlier saved version when archived

#10132 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Bryan,

I think I know what is happening. AxCrypt 1 and 2 works very similarly, but the big difference is how/when an edited file is re-encrypted.

What happens when you open an encrypted file is that it is decrypted to a temporary location. This is the same for v1 and v2.

At this point, you have two copies of the file – the original encrypted file, and the decrypted file in the temporary location.

What you now seem to do is do perform a ‘Save As’, probably to the location of the original encrypted file, and then close it.

Now, with v2, it thinks it knows that there is a decrypted file in the temporary location, which corresponds to the encrypted original file.

You, now, move the original encrypted file to your archive spot, and then rename the updated file to have the same name as the original encrypted file.

AxCrypt is now effectively fooled, and has indeed lost track of what is happening.

You are making this overly complicated I think. A much easier procedure is just to whenever you want to archive a version of the encrypted file, copy it to the archive location. Windows will even suggest a versioned file name for you if there already is a file there with the same name. Done. No need for renaming, and AxCrypt is not tricked by the file rename-shuffle, and you do not need to to the Save As maneuver.