Forums Help & support AX 1.7.3156 Failed to startup. Faulting application path. Reply To: AX 1.7.3156 Failed to startup. Faulting application path.

#11021 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Milan,

Glad to hear you got it working again, so it was what I originally thought it was. Good job. I seem to recall that there were some versions of Adobe Acrobat that caused the problem after installation…

As for your reasons of not wanting to upgrade, I appreciate you taking the tine. The first issue – that others will have to upgrade as well, can’t do much about that. If that was a universal principle, no software could ever evolve. You’d still be stuck with Word 1.0… So, yes, I recommend both you *and* your colleagues to upgrade!

The second reason, we do use the email address for several vital functions. One of them being solving the problem of sharing files with others. We use modern public key cryptography in a very simple package to enable sharing of files with others without sharing any passwords. So, AxCrypt is also a key server – and this is a normal cryptographic function, and it does require some form of identification moniker. We choose to use the email address because we don’t consider this to be a secret, and we also specifically state that using AxCrypt itself should not need be kept secret. We don’t try to hide the fact that an encrypted AxCrypt file is encrypted with AxCrypt. AxCrypt is strong enough so it will not matter.

Part of it is definitely about business! I’m happy to year you’re willing to donate, unfortunately not one in a thousand of the free users of AxCrypt will do so, and even you have not done so yet apparently except when this came up. So, the freeware donation model just did not work. I had the choice of sunsetting the whole project and shutting down, or trying to find a model where I could get some return for the time and effort spent.

I do understand that there is a natural resistance to change, but sometimes things will just have to. With AxCrypt 1 and 2 this is the case.

Of course you’re welcome to continue using AxCrypt 1 for as long as you like, or use AxCrypt 2 for free too. But, as time goes by, you’ll be more and more exposed to risk using old, unmaintained, unsupported software.