Forums Help & support Cannot remove protection–Axcrypt says file is open in another program Reply To: Cannot remove protection–Axcrypt says file is open in another program

#12170 Reply

Chuck

I wound up having to do a safe mode system restore to a date prior to running Axcrypt which was downloaded yesterday.  Here was the chain of events:  (1) Axcrypt ran fine yesterday from the Windows 10 desktop. I encrypted a test file also on the desktop.  Could not click the file to open as no open with file association was present.  (2) I could open the encrypted test file (.JPG) directly from the list  in Axcrypt.  (3) Today, I tried to open Axcrypt by double clicking–it hung, an icon appeared in the task bar but nothing was in it.  Gve it time.  Still “not responding”.  (4) I tried to kill Axcrypt in task  manager by selecting and clicking “end task”.  It would  not close after several attempts.  (5) I could  not restart Windows as it hung on “restarting” presumably because the Axcrypt process was still running and Windows could not kill it. (6) I did a hard reboot/power down.  (7) Same condition and at that point, many Windows apps were broken and would not start.  (8) Tried to do a system restore using restore point from time prior to using Axcrypt.  It failed. (9)  Did a system restore from a safe boot an it succeeded.  I have deleted Axcrypt .exe file.

Something caused Axcrypt to break and then not be able to be killed  in task  manager.  The file came from the Axcrypt site.  One thing I wondered was whether something with Norton Utility Suite might b e involved.