Forums Help & support Cannot remove protection–Axcrypt says file is open in another program Reply To: Cannot remove protection–Axcrypt says file is open in another program

#12171 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Chuck,

Event 1) and 2) in your description are as expected and normal.

That AxCrypt might hang is of course possible – we’re not perfect, and AxCrypt like any other software has bugs.

What I find less likely is that AxCrypt single-handedly would affect your system post-reboot. It does not start automatically. You’re running the stand-alone version, so it does not even add itself to Windows Explorer.

I do not know anything about Norton except that as opposed to stand-alone AxCrypt it belongs to a class of software that actually does run automatically and injects itself into critical processes of Windows.

The point here is that while AxCrypt of course has bugs, they can’t really impact you when it’s not running. You can *use* AxCrypt to cause problems, for example by encrypting system files with AxCrypt (although we do try to detect and stop it from happening too easily).

Anyway, I am sorry you’re having problems but glad you seem to have them resolved for now.