Forums Help & support Cannot remove protection–Axcrypt says file is open in another program Reply To: Cannot remove protection–Axcrypt says file is open in another program

#12185 Reply

Chuck

Hello Svante

Thanks for that info.  I should try out the subscription plan so I can better understand the features.  The “Secured Folders” feature listed in the email I received was what was unclear to me.  I presume it is a file structure  on the server  in which you have folders with predefined fields into which password are entered?  And is the subscription software different than the freestanding free version in that is allows folder encryption?

As for my use of the term “corrupted” as to the axcrypt file I had the problem with, as I noted,  I am not a coder or programmer so perhaps that was not the correct term, but it would not open and run properly,  It started, it put an icon in the task tray but the window that would open was white with a bar at the  top and there was no functionality and it could not be killed in task manager.  Perhaps there is some other term for a program that start to fully open/run and hangs without fully opening/running.

Another question I have is as to the encryption key.  I presume nothing is stored in the acrypt file, so that if I used axcrypt to encrypt files, those files could  be decrypted on any computer running axcrypt.  For example if the system OS used to initially encrypt the files crashed and had to be reinstalled.

Thanks.

Chuck