Forums Help & support How can I make use of export/import public sharing key or Axcrpyt ID ? Reply To: How can I make use of export/import public sharing key or Axcrpyt ID ?

#14049 Reply

Ax

Hello Azhaguraja B

Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry but I’m sorry totally confused.

If I send an encrypted file to someone (and they had the AxCrypt app) what would they need to decrypt/open the file I’ve sent to them?

You appear to be saying they would need both the public key and my account password is that correct?

I ask this because I did a quick test. I installed Axcrypt on a second computer without any internet connection. Made up a test e-mail and password and the app opened. I then attempted to open a file I had encrypted with my official account. The newly installed app asked for the password and I entered my official account password and the encrypted file opened. I then encrypted a file using the test computer and was able to open it with my normal computer using just the password I’d made up on the test computer. I had no need to import a public key to open the files.

If someone simply knows my password and can open an encrypted file, what does the public key do?

Sorry I’m clearly missing something, but I can’t work out what the public key does that knowing my password alone does not.