Forums Community AxCrypt 2.0 and 1.7 Reply To: AxCrypt 2.0 and 1.7

#14278 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hi Doug,

There’s a bit of misunderstanding here.

Here’s how both AxCrypt 1 and 2 works regarding password entering requirement (although the defaults and how to change them have changed):

AxCrypt has the option of saving an entered password for re-use, so that opening many files is not a chore. In AxCrypt 1, this is not the default, but can be enabled by the “Remember this password for decryption” option. In AxCrypt 2 this is the default, but the “memory” can be set to expire after a given time of inactivity, or when a screen saver goes active, or when the computer goes to sleep etc.

AxCrypt 1 and 2 also has the option to clear the password memory, if it’s used. In AxCrypt 1 this is done through the context menu (I don’t offhand remember the exact menu text, but I think it’s something like ‘Clear Passphrase’). In AxCrypt 2 it’s done by logging out.

Once the password memory has been cleared, you need to re-enter it in order for files to be possible to decrypt, and thus view.

The crucial difference is that AxCrypt 2 does *not* have the option of *always* asking for a password, and *never* use the password memory.

What I suggest you do, is to do either or both of the following:

• Enable the Inactivity Sign Out, and set it to for example 5 minutes.
  • Enable your screen saver *without* requiring a password, and set a short timeout like 5 minutes.

Inactivity Sign Out in AxCrypt

After signing in to AxCrypt (if you start it from the Start Menu) you will be presented with the AxCrypt main window, where this menu is found. If you start it indirectly, you can open it from the tray area, right-clicking and selecting ‘Advanced’:

AxCrypt in the notification area