Forums Bugs & issues Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt Reply To: Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt

#3523 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Peter,

Wow… To be honest, I think you might want to make your life easier by examining your situation from a security analysis point of view. I think you can at least skip the zipx step, without sacrificing any security at all. Also, if I were you, I’d settle on a really good, long and strong password that you can remember and use that and skip the keyfiles step. You might for example want to use two concatenated passwords from our password generator for a really ludicrous level of strength. http://www.axcrypt.net/password-generator/ .

Using full disk/container encryption in combination with file encryption is something I do recommend, not quite for the multiple-level of encryption reason, but for other reasons. Specifically, I advocate full disk encryption such as BitLocker for local PC security, and file encryption for off-device storage  – which for practical reasons means that you keep files file encrypted on your full disk encrypted hard disk.

Anyway, if you install 2.1 it’ll upgrade the 1.7. If you want to have them both, don’t install 2.1, just download the portable install-free version. The shell integration will be with 1.7 then, but you can use the 2.1 user window for all features.

Svante