Forums Bugs & issues Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt Reply To: Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt

#3524 Reply

Peter

Svante,

Thanks for your comments.  I use Powerarchiver (paid for version) to archive to zipx, which for me has two advantages; the archive files are shrunk, and holding them all in the zipx makes moving around, backing up and so forth a bit easier. Powerarchiver itself has strong archive encryption options, which I use for small zips sent to clouds, but it doesn’t work as well in some other circumstances, where I find Axcrypt provides a better solution.

I’ll certainly be fine using a strong but memorable password/phrase, which is what I do for encrypting my keyfiles. I think it would be difficult for an attacker to locate my keyfiles, and then assign them to the files they unlock, as they are all different, but being text files does offer some risk, hence my encrypting them. That was easier than keeping them on a removable flash drive.

After replacing my system HDD with an SSD, I had troubles with BitLocker on W7 Ultimate, and I believe there are technical issues connected with read/write on SSDs thus encrypted. I mainly use the Veracrypt containers on external drives, where I do keep the relevant keyfiles (which can be any file type) on separate media.

Thanks also for the suggestion on 1.7/2 use, which is very useful.

Peter