Forums Community AxCrypt 2.0 and 1.7 Reply To: AxCrypt 2.0 and 1.7

#3527 Reply

Andy

Hi Svante,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.

First of all, I want to say that it’s completely understandable why you’ve chosen to implement a Freemium/Premium model now and I wish you the best of luck with that – you’ve created a great program and deserve to be compensated for it. Additionally, I would like to suggest that if you end up closing down your old website, that you consider including an option to donate on your new website for people like me who don’t need the extra functionality of the Premium version, but still want to show their appreciation for a great free product by donating. By the way, I didn’t know that I could pay with a card via PayPal (never used it!), so I’m glad you told me about that and it worked fine.

Regarding the issue with having a single password for signing in and encrypting files in AxCrypt 2, I can see why you say that “for most users the convenience outweighs the security concerns”, but I suspect there may be a significant minority for which, like me, this is not the case. I say this because, like most people, I already have many different passwords for online accounts, so an extra one is not much of a consideration – especially if it provides me with the peace of mind that comes from knowing that my Axcrypt password never travels across the internet (no matter how safe this might be). And as far as my PC alone is concerned, I actually like that I only have to remember two passwords – one for Bitlocker when I switch it on and one for my AxCrypt files – and that these passwords are solely under my control.

As I said in my previous post, I agree that having just one strong password for all AxCrypt files is a good idea, but just not the same one that is used for signing in – for the reason explained above. This would help users avoid the problems you mention with having to remember different passwords, while at the same time satisfying those that don’t like the idea of their AxCrypt password travelling over the internet.

Although I have to confess I am not “tech-savvy” enough to understand the alternative process you suggest might be used in future whereby the password never actually reaches the server, I do trust what you say. However, exactly as you anticipated at the end of your post and maybe as a result of my ignorance of the process, just knowing that my password is travelling online still makes me feel uneasy. Maybe for those who feel like I do, you could consider including a third option alongside the Freemium/Premium options where a person could just pay a one-off fee to have the AxCrypt 2 Freemium version, but with one extra feature – to have a single password purely for encryption. That way, you not only satisfy those of us that want this feature, but you would get paid for providing it.

Hope this better clarifies my concerns.

Andy