Forums Community some suggestions for AxCrypt Reply To: some suggestions for AxCrypt

#3590 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hi Sputnik!

Actually, the motivation for removing the self-decrypting option was not connected to Free vs. Premium as such. I just didn’t (and still don’t) think that it has sufficient merit.

That it’s not just to re-introduce it does have some connection to Free vs. Premium in the sense that we’re still very resource-constrained, so there’s a natural limit to what can be done in a given amount of time. If I had limitless resources, I would probably just add it back, since it would then be easier to do so than to defend the (still in my mind correct) decision to not include it in the first place.

Another similar issue that went the other way is AES-128 vs. AES-256. For the vast majority of encryption users (not just AxCrypt) in the world, there’s absolutely no difference in achieved security. However, AES-256 is very much in demand, and it does not hurt (anymore – it used to due to performance reasons) so there it is!