After removing the adware program I got Axcrypt to turn on. But either it is different now or I am using it wrong. To encrypt a test file I had to go through a process of logging on to axcrypt.net. I do not believe I ever had an account there.
Anyway, I went through the “forgot password” process and got into the site and set a new password — a password that I thought was for entering the website to enable Axcrypt . However, when I returned to encrypt a test file it looks like now this password for entering the website is also now used for file encryption. This is not what I had hoped for.
It looks like I must use the password registered at Axcrypt website to encrypt files. Also, the new Axcrypt menu does not offer the choice of using a keyfile for encryption.
With the old Axcrypt I encrypt files using a password (or a key file at my choice) that has never been written down or stored anywhere except my memory and that I can change at will. Also, in the old system, I could encrypt different files using different passwords. Now it seems I have only one encryption password and I must go to the website to change it. The website says there’s “never any requirement to register,” and that’s how it was before, but I think no longer. I don’t want my encryption password floating about in cyberspace no matter how secure. I hope I can somehow use Axcrypt the new as I used the old system.
Also, in the old system, I could encrypt different files using different passwords. Now it seems I have only one encryption password and I must go to the website to change it.