Forums › Bugs & issues › Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt › Reply To: Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt
The point with V2 is that you should only be using a single strong password for all your encrypted files, it is also verified in order to ensure that you did not mistype it – this is to avoid the situation where you encrypt files with a mistyped password and then cannot open them. The workflow you describe is not how it should be. I do not understand how you get there. Here’s how it should be:
- You sign out of Windows.
- Time passes.
- You sign in to Windows.
- You do things that has nothing to do with AxCrypt.
- You double-click an encrypted file, or right-click an unencrypted file to encrypt.
- You get a password prompt to “sign in” to AxCrypt – really to set the default password to use for the session and to verify that it’s the one you’re expecting to use.
- The file is opened or encrypted.
- You continue to work with AxCrypt-encrypted files or encrypt new ones. You are *not* prompted for any password, because you are signed in to AxCrypt, and we’ve verified that it’s the right password to use.
- You sign out of Windows, causing AxCrypt to also be signed out. Repeat from step 2.