Forums Bugs & issues Cannot use AxCrypt to keep my local files secure from other local people Reply To: Cannot use AxCrypt to keep my local files secure from other local people

#4746 Reply

Gabriel

Svante,

Thanks for the info and quick response. I just uninstalled v2 and went back to v1.7.3180.0, and it works perfect for my use case. Basically, I’m just using AxCrypt in this particular case in order to put passwords on any type of file–including those that you normally can’t password protect. I hope you can give the option for the old functionality so that we can choose to have the v1.7 interface in v2.

Signing out of the shared admin account is not practical. Setting the screensaver is a work-around but very non-ideal. Here’s our use case for AxCrypt:

We are on a shared work computer. All work computers are horribly ridiculously locked down: no admin rights, China-like fascist firewall, no USB devices allowed even, except keyboards and mice. However, a small group of us are computer programmers, so we got a special machine, off the network, with a separate, open internet even, for use for software and firmware development.  All of us in this small group are developers, and this is our unlocked development PC that we periodically use and share. At any given moment one guy might be running data collections software up that he wants on constantly, while someone else sits down for half a day to program. Therefore, since we are all using the same or similar applications, and we are all admins on the same computer (but we occasionally need to drop a personal file we need protected), we aren’t logging out between users, and sometimes we explicitly prevent the screensaver from coming on so that the background software can run on 1 monitor while others work on the other monitors (it has 4 monitors).

So….AxCrypt 2 is poorly set up for our particular case. I think having an option for AxCrypt 1-like functionality would be nice.