Forums Bugs & issues Cannot use AxCrypt to keep my local files secure from other local people Reply To: Cannot use AxCrypt to keep my local files secure from other local people

#4854 Reply

Barry

Hi,

You can still download AxCrypt 1.7 from the other website but bear in mind that AxCrypt are not providing any updates to it which in itself is a security risk.

I agree that’s it’s extremely annoying to be unable to use separate passwords which is why I’ve moved over to 7-Zip which allows you to do exactly that and it’s free.

However I think you’re misunderstanding how AxCrypt 2 works because for your purpose – being able to share a file with a specific person without needing to give out your password – is possible. You must be a Premium (paid) user to use this feature.

The benefits of this approach in your use-case scenario is that you can have all your files on the central server and not need to have lots of separate passwords. You just share it with the individual(s) you want to and you never give out any password. The user you’ve shared it with can just open the file (using his password).

It’s possible I’ve misunderstood you; in which case you’ll have to use the unsupported AxCrypt 1.7 or switch to something like 7-Zip.

Watch the official AxCrypt video from 1m17 onwards (it should automatically jump to that point).