Forums Bugs & issues Cannot use AxCrypt to keep my local files secure from other local people Reply To: Cannot use AxCrypt to keep my local files secure from other local people

#4958 Reply

Lucas

People have been asking for this feature to be reinstated Paddy but that’s not the way AxCrypt is moving. We’ll see what Svante says but your comments are highly unlikely to change anything.

In your specific example there is nothing to stop your Dad, Mum and Son using the in-built password protection of Microsoft Excel, Access and Word. This is a much easier solution than using any piece of encryption software because it’s included in the software and the cryptography is just as strong as Axcrypt (it uses AES-128) as long as you’re using Microsoft Office 2010 or later. All you do is set a document password and that’s it. Every time you open the file you’ll be prompted for a password; no error messages or anything.

However I have concerns with your Dad storing banking passwords, PINs, usernames and such like in Excel. Similarly you shouldn’t be using Word for this type of material. You should be using a password manager; these are designed to keep this sort of information secure and they’re much more convenient than using files!

In order of my recommendation

1Password (it’s proprietary, costs $4.99 per month, is licensed for 5 users <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>and</span> works on mobile devices too)

LastPass (most features are free and there’s premium offering costing $1 per month and works on mobile devices too)

KeePass Professional (it’s free and open source but only works on a computer)

Password Safe (it’s free and open source but only works on a computer)

If you still want to continue using AxCrypt like you used to then take a look at 7-Zip, it’s free and open source but in your environment it’s just as much hassle as AxCrypt. Use the in-built password protection of Microsoft Office for the Access database and everything else should be in a password manager.