Forums Community iOS Mobile Open Beta Reply To: iOS Mobile Open Beta

#4973 Reply

Lucas

Hi Robin, no I don’t work for AxCrupt but I have used both versions of the software as an end-user and have extensive experience of cryptography.

Personally I prefer 1.7 like many other people on this forum because of its simplicity.

AxCrypt 2 changes the trust model and requires us to trust not only the developers of AxCrypt but also the SSL/TLS protocol (and the issuing authority), the integrity of our email providers and the security of AxCrypt’s servers. In addition we have to blindly accept that AxCrypt are not being secretly compelled by their Government not to store our passwords. With 1.7 these attack surfaces didn’t exist.

There is a place for AxCrypt 2 and that is for users who want simplicity, need support and are prepared to pay for the product.

Axcrypt is 100% geared towards cloud storage and sharing. It isn’t a full disk encryption product and will not protect you from an adversary who has uncontrolled access to your computer. Nor does Svante suggest it is a substitute for FDE.
<p style=”text-align: left;”>AxCrypt complements FDE by encrypting individual files. Obviously this would only be necessary if you’re sharing the files with others or emailing sensitive information.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>It has been made clear by Svante that AxCrypt will not be returning to the previous position of allowing multiple passwords because he considers it a security risk. He’s written this in a blog post!</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>The guy using Microsoft Office had multiple people using the computer and AxCrypt 2 (with its one password policy) wouldn’t protect them in that scenario. I did not “put him down”; I suggested a better alternative for his situation.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>AxCrypt 1.7 has been abandoned and will no longer be updated. This may have suited the Microsoft Office guy but it wouldn’t be sensible to recommend a product which is no longer being updated as that in intself is a security risk.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>If you like AxCrypt 2 that’s great. The developer seems genuinely nice and honest and he needs to earn a living. But none of that changes the position that people need to use the product that suits their needs.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>So, I’ll repeat myself: AxCrypt 2 is very much geared towards sharing files and cloud synchronisation.</p>