Forums Community AxCrypt Mobile for iOS released Reply To: AxCrypt Mobile for iOS released

#5181 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello magic,

Whish we could have everything free for everyone… But the fact of the matter is that for AxCrypt to keep existing, we need revenue.

The previous iOS version is a good example of the problem. It was made as  cooperative project with another developer. I provided the core code and they did the iOS part as an educational project for their staff. Great while it lasted.

Then the company said, “Thanks, that was fun, but we can’t and won’t maintain it.”. At that time it became abandonware, which was first removed from the App Store and then iOS 9 broke it compatibility-wise.

We want AxCrypt to be available on all relevant platforms, Windows, iOS, Android, OS X and hopefully Linux. Maybe it’s just me, but I just can’t do that by myself while at the same time having a day job to pay the rent and also have a life. I’ve not been able to find enough other volunteers.

As you say, the app is basic. In order to change that, we need to spend many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of hours to keep developing it.

That’s what the revenue is for. To develop AxCrypt. At this point every cent goes right back into the product. If you like, see the subscription fee as your contribution to the project, because that’s what it is.

The next step is bringing AxCrypt to the Mac, and we’ll be adding functions to the desktop version as well as the mobile apps.