Forums Bugs & issues Forgot my new V2 AxCrypt sign in password after opening and converting a V1 file Reply To: Forgot my new V2 AxCrypt sign in password after opening and converting a V1 file

#5725 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Justin,

I am very sorry to hear this. It appears you have understood correctly, what you describe is a very likely explanation of what has happened.

Unfortunately, we’ve had many similar incidents with V1, apparently it’s not altogether too uncommon to set a password encrypt a file and forget it.

For this reason, we’ve now made users enter the password no less than three times before we actually use it to encrypt anything. This has significantly decreased the number of such incidents, but it appears it happened to you anyway.

We also have the ‘show password’ option on by default to reduce the risk of typing something else that is expected.

Still, since it happened, again we need to clarify this even further.

We will be adding some form of first-time use information that you’ll have to ‘sign’ with your password where we’ll inform of the importance of not forgetting the password, as well as of how critical it is to use backups. We’ll also be adding a similar dialog when a V1 file is first converted, informing of what is happening.

Once again, I’m sorry.

On the another note, I’ve written a blog post about multiple passwords, here: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/use-of-different-passwords/ .