Forums Community Sharing Data Reply To: Sharing Data

#6056 Reply

Captain Quirk

Svante, you are so diligent in promptly answering posts and questions!  I must commend you.  (Where do you find the time?  Do you ever sleep?)   But no, my small gripe wasn’t aimed at you.  Your answers and explanations are excellent.   My minor complaint was directed at Eddie (specifically, his post dated March 23, 2017 at 21:10).

I was complaining (gently) about how some people (like Eddie) inappropriately answer an either/or question with a yes or no.  Hence my humorous fictional question about traveling to New York:

“Are you going to fly to New York, or are you going to take the train?”

“Yes.”

Arrrrrrrgh!!!!!!   [That’s me, screaming in frustration.]   :-)
The point I was trying to make was that the answer CANNOT be yes or no.  It has to be one or the other.   (It wasn’t a real question – merely an example of an “either/or” question that was improperly answered with a yes, just like Eddie’s answer to Rob’s question, which was “If the first user is using 256 bit encryption, will the second user be able to read it given they use the free product (max 128 bit?) OR will they need to subscribe?”  And Eddie’s answer was “Yes”.   That’s like answering “yes” to the question: “Does 6 + 2 equal 8 or 10?”  Or asking “Is my upcoming doctor’s appointment on Tuesday or Thursday?” and the other person says “Yes.”)  (This is probably why the subject of Edvard Munch’s famous painting is screaming!)

That’s just one of those little things in life that drives me crazy.  :-)