Forums Help & support unique password for a file Reply To: unique password for a file

#7337 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Totoz,

Yepp, the post reflects the authors professional opinion, i.e. me. I’m the person who makes all the design decisions concerning AxCrypt, and has done so for the last 17 years or so. The idea is that while of course I’m not perfect, I do have a fairly good grasp of the overall situation as well as the nitty gritty details. Also, while perhaps there are no proofs, much of the reasoning is based on best practices in the security and cryptograhpy community.

AxCrypt has always been about me taking informed, professional, decisions on the behalf of my users – so you don’t have to. That’s why you can’t chose algorithms. That’s why the installation does not have a single choice.

After much reflection, I’ve come to the conclusion that the only relevant reason for having different passwords, is for sharing with other persons. We address that instead by way of the key sharing function, which scales better and is just so much safer any way you look at it (with the possible exception of the invitation scenario, where you invite a user to share secure access to a file before (s)he has a registered AxCrypt account in which case we do have access to the private key until that user sets the password).

So, what you should do to share secure access with different individuals is to use the key sharing function, which uses proven public key technology to achieve this goal without the need of sharing passwords.