Forums Help & support Wrong Password? Reply To: Wrong Password?

#7492 Reply

Toni

Hi Svante,

I was about to forget to clarify my first post here…

I don’t think most of the users that posted a message here forgot about the passwords that they use to protect their files and that they use for years (like I do)…

The main problem is that the change between AxCrypt v.1 to v.2 is pretty confusing:

• AxCrypt v.1 was used with a single password per file : people encrypt – decrypt their files with a password and that worked perfectly fine.
  • AxCrypt v.2, without really informing its users (or maybe not efficiently enough?), just changed the way to use AxCrypt:
    • 1) by obliging people to log into their AxCrypt.net account before they can decrypt their files -> this is the main reason why people get the message “Wrong password“: at this step, AxCrypt is not asking for the file password as it used to. It’s asking for the AxCrypt.net account password you created / have to create… to, then, enter the file password (that is why on the first “password” request it is written on the window “AxCrypt ID” even if it’s not easy to notice on first sight…)
    • 2) when we are logged in our AxCrypt account and we want to encrypt a file, the software doesn’t ask us anymore any file password: it’s setting automatically as a file password the AxCrypt.net account password the person choosed when creating this account… and therefore all your new encrypted files with the new AxCrypt v.2 are encrypted with the same password: the one used to log into your AxCrypt account.

Because of 2), I almost lost the access to some files! Because I first set up my AxCrypt.net account without really paying attention to the password I choosed (as I thought I was required to create an account for some lambda reason like receiving the newsletter to push me to pay for the AxCrypt paying version)…

So when I encrypted some files and these were being encrypted without the software asking me which password I wanna use, I was quite confused and I didn’t understand right away how this was now working… :S

It’s only when I tried to decrypt these recent files that I understood and I was super lucky to find back (by testing like 30 possible passwords) the password I used when I created the AxCrypt account (which was not the same password that I usually used to encrypt the files…) !

Hope this helps and nobody get critical files lost!

Toni