Forums Community Unhappy with version 2 Reply To: Unhappy with version 2

#7759 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Sven,

We try to be really clear about the automatic upgrade of old files to version 2 format, but I guess we could be even clearer…

From what I understand, the key sharing feature of AxCrypt 2 is a perfect fit for your scenario. Let’s call you Sven and your in-law Bob, with email sven@one.test and bob@two.test .

Sven adds ‘bob@two.test’ as a key sharing recipient to ‘in-case-of-svens-death.txt’ . Now, Bob can open the file using his own password, without the need for a separate password in an envelope (of course Bob would keep such a backup anyway for his relatives in the case of his demise).

Bob adds ‘sven@one.test’ as a key sharing recipient to ‘in-case-of-bobs-death.txt’ . Now, Sven can open the file using his own password, without the need for a separate password in an envelope (of course Sven would keep such a backup anyway for his relatives in the case of his demise).

This also makes it easy to manage multiple possible recipients of this information, such as a spouse or child etc, should you wish to.

The only difference is the absence of the specific envelope with the separate password used for this mutual purpose, but that seems a little cumbersome I think and doesn’t really add anything. As you write – it’s still a case of mutual trust.