As Euan says – we only use a single password. The value in “force a login to axcrypt to only encrypt a few files” is, among other things:
- We can strongly verify that you are entering the password you think you are entering, reducing the risk of dataloss due to a typo when you encrypt new files.
- We can keep the password around for the duration of the sign in session, making encryption and encryption – even of a few files, a much more convenient task.
- We can verify your account status, i.e. subscription plan (Free vs. Premium etc).
- We can synchronize your key pair with the local device and the server, making such things as global password change possible.
- Although we log very little, the little we do log often helps us understand why users are experiencing problems which thus allows us to provide more effective support.