Forums Help & support must I use a signin Reply To: must I use a signin

#7822 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Marvin,

There’s something not quite right with your description of events. The typical sequence of events are identical, but named differently. There’s no difference really between AxCrypt 1 “asking for a password to open the file” and AxCrypt 2 “requiring you to sign in to open the file”. In fact, I believe the keystrokes are exactly the same!

AxCrypt 1:

1. Double click the file.
  2. AxCrypt pops up a dialog asking for the password.
  3. Enter the password, hit “OK”.
  4. The file opens.

AxCrypt 2:

1. Double click the file.
  2. AxCrypt pops up a dialog asking you to sign in.
  3. Enter the password, hit “OK”.
  4. The file opens.

The one scenario where you’d be asked for a password twice, is if you’re opening a file encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, encrypted with AxCrypt 1 or with AxCrypt 2 by another user or yourself, but with a password *reset* (not *change*) between. In the case of an AxCrypt 1 file, it’s a one-time thing since we’ll upgrade the file to AxCrypt 2 and use the sign in password. So next time it’ll work as usual.

I’m guessing that “I even changed my AxCrypt.net password to my preferred encrypt code and that allows me to sign in online” is not quite correct. Our logs show a password *reset* on September 7, which would explain the “but I still must use the zxzxzxzxzx on my PC to then access my encrypted file“. If this is the case, of course you must! A simple password reset, which only requires access to your email inbox to succeed cannot restore access to previously encrypted files!