Forums Help & support Looking at upgrading to Version 2 Reply To: Looking at upgrading to Version 2

#8784 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello Carl,

I am not sure about what you mean with “In the old version, when I saved a file, I could go to a drop down and save as ‘Encrypted’.“. There never was such a function, since the implication is that you do this from an application when you “save a file”. Possibly you refer to right-click context menu options in Windows Explorer “Encrypt Copy” and “Encrypt Copy to .exe”? These are no longer available in AxCrypt  2, the first because of limited use and the second because of the inherent problems with encrypted “self-decrypting” exe-files.

Your second question is about the “recent files list”. This is a convenience function in AxCrypt 2. What is perhaps not apparent is that the plain text (original file name) is actually encrypted before stored in the recent files list, so if they files are renamed after encryption that information is not easily obtainable. We made the decision that the convenience of use is worth more than the very doubtful “security” of not listing recently used files – this information is available in so many other places in the file system and other places, such as the respective applications etc. In order to minimize the use of AxCrypt for illegal purposes, the AxCrypt feature-set is aimed at users who have files to keep confidential – but not users who need to hide the fact that they have encrypted files at all.