Forums Community What happens to the un-encrypted copy of the file once it's encrypted? Reply To: What happens to the un-encrypted copy of the file once it's encrypted?

#8858 Reply

Ryan

Yep Mike that’s my interpretation. Personally I keep any sensitive data on Hard Disks as opposed to SSD’s, as SSD’s are difficult to entirely clean unlike hard disks. Every 6 months or so I run Eraser which can fill the un-used parts of the disk with useless data essentially overwriting any “deleted” but still recoverable files with junk. I suppose the only way to be more secure would be to encrypt the drive as well as the files you’re using. With something like bitlocker so even when turned off no one can access and recover “Deleted” files. Still, “Shredding” is a bit misleading.

Svante, I noticed when using Axcrypt 1.0 back in the day I could quite easily recover files after shredding. Out of curiosity, has the algorithm been improved with 2.0? I haven’t attempted to recover any shredded files with 2.0 yet, I’m sure it’s still possible I’m just wondering if it’s been made any more difficult to do so?

Thanks for your reply!