Forums Bugs & issues Password is wrong, but it is not Reply To: Password is wrong, but it is not

#9904 Reply

Svante
Spectator

Hello C. Silva,

When you say “when my laptop is offline, sometimes I cannot decrypt my files” it’s an indication of a user problem – not a software problem, or that there is more to the story so to speak. Our software is entirely deterministic during decryption, so when the word *sometimes* appears there must be something else that varies.

There is also a difference to note between the signing in to AxCrypt, and decrypting a file. If your software in your laptop is not synchronized with an updated password online, a situation can certainly arise where the sign in process offline expects a different password than online. This does not account for your description of a “sometimes” behavior.

Notable is the fact that you *reset* your password on March 5, indicating that you have at least two “correct” passwords in use – one old and one new. Please note the difference between a password *reset* and a password *change*. You did a reset.

Another explanation of the “sometimes” effect could then be that the files you can’t open are from before (or after) that password reset. A password reset does not allow you to open files encrypted before the reset, with the password set after the reset. The reset is only to allow you to sign in again, and is used to encrypt new files. To decrypt old files, you still need to know the original password.

If you can send a screen shot when you get this “sometimes” problem, it will help us understand exactly at what point the password is not accepted.