Forums Community A Couple of Suggestions

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Glenn

Version 2.0 is very convenient with respect to being able to decrypt files for viewing without entering the same passphrase over and over again — Love it. I have a couple of suggestions that may be very useful to your clients.

1) Cleanup and keep encrypted button. It would be handy to be able to do the cleanup and clear the list while keeping all files encrypted in one click. This is something I do most every day, and I imagine others do the same. As it is one must take up a series of actions to accomplish this task.

2) Being able to logout of Axcrypt. I would like to be able to logout of axcrypt for the current session when I’m done with it without logging out of my windows session. I’ve noticed that as long as my windows session is active a simple double-click of the file will decrypt and open it for viewing as long as the passphrase is the same as last used. This is very handy, but is a double edged sword. It means that someone could possibly access my encrypted material if I walked away momentarily without logging out of my windows session. This feels very dangerous even given that I should be security conscious enough to logout of my windows session if I walk away, however briefly. Perhaps just being able to clear out the last passphrase from memory would suffice, but I would feel a whole lot better if I could to this.

Thanks for listening. Axcrypt 2.0 is a great product.

#3064 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Glenn,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it’s really appreciated!

1) Not quite sure I understand here – When you hit the ‘cleanup’, all temporary and new unencrypted files are encrypted (if possible). I think maybe this is actually connected to your idea #2. Correct me if I’m wrong!

2) You *can* sign out of AxCrypt via the ‘File | Sign Out’ menu choice. I think that’s what you mean. However, we already have an issue logged to add the ‘Sign Out’ menu to the right-click menu and to the Notify icon as well. Maybe that’s what you’re missing?

If I’ve misunderstood anything, please let me know! AxCrypt is being continuously developed with with more or less continuous delivery (we’re throttling it a bit so users aren’t always asked to update every time they start it;-). But we do one or two builds / week.

Regards,

Svante

#3065 Reply

Glenn

Hi Svante,

Yes, you’re right. I was thinking that as long as the files were in the list, they were accessible, but now I see it stands to reason that it’s the last passphrase that is stored only. Thank you for the clarification.

I see now how to sign out. For some reason I just didn’t see that option. Many thanks. I believe all of my concerns have been addressed.

Glenn

#3069 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Great!

Do contact us again if you have more ideas or questions!

Svante

#3248 Reply

Davide

Hi all,

if i can say something too, it seems to me strange and wrong that if i am currently logged off, i can still see the notify icon un the bottom-left corner, and moreover if i click on an encrypted file i have an easy way to see all others encrypted files!

It would be much more secure if, when you try to open an encrypted file and you are logged off, it would just ask for the password BEFORE showing anything else…

But it’s just a suggestion :)

Have a nice day,

Davide

#3249 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Davide,

Thank you for the feedback!

Generally speaking, the idea is that the AxCrypt-user essentially has a one-to-one mapping to the Windows user. So, if you’re logged on to Windows, you already know what you have encrypted. Also, it’s never supposed to be a secret just what is encrypted.

Given all this, there is one thing that I’ve debated a bit, and that’s that we show the plain text file names in the recent files list. The decision to do so, is based on the above assumption on the relation between the Windows user and the AxCrypt user. In the file system, the plain text file names are actually encrypted using local Windows encryption which is based on the Windows log in credentials.

#3250 Reply

Davide

Hi Svante,

thanks for the fast reply!

I was already pretty sure about this assumption of yours, i just wanted to give you a feedback as a user :)

By the way you all made a great job with this version 2.x, i was using the old 1.7.x version without knowing anything of the newer one, which i discovered only today.

So sincere Congratulations,

Davide

#3283 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Thanks Davide! Please post again if you have further suggestions, questions or ideas.

Svante

#3651 Reply

Herman susser

I really like Axcrypt.

I don’t like trying to get into my locked files. 1st I get a request for a login and then I get a request for a password that is not the same and an empty key password which can be skipped. 2 separate “logins”.

I don’t encryp or decrypt often so I’m left guessing which password to use where. It’s trial and error. Can this process be simplfied?

#3652 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Herman!

Easily fixed.

Ensure you have the lastest version of AxCrypt 2 (2.1.1403 or later).

Ensure that you have checked the File | Options | Auto Convert 1.x Files option.

Because AxCrypt 2 has stricter password requirements than AxCrypt 1, and because some users have different passwords for different AxCrypt 1-encrypted files, the new AxCrypt 2 Sign In password is often different that the previous.

This means AxCrypt has to ask after it when it’s needed.

If you’ve done the above, this is a one-time affair. After the files are converted and upgraded, they will use the new password, and you will only have to sign in, thereafter all is as before.

The “empty key password which can be skipped” has always been there! This is how the previous login looked like:

AxCrypt 1.7 log on

Notice the Key-File field. Just ignore as you always have! You’re not the first to have troubles with the key-file field, so the next version will hide it behind a “More”-button.

Once you have upgraded and converted your old files, I’m sure  you’ll find AxCrypt 2 even easier to work with!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: A Couple of Suggestions
Your information: