Forums Bugs & issues Access denied when trying to encrypt Documents folder

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jim McCulloch

Windows 10 home does not include encryption, only Windows Pro & Enterprise does.

That is why we bought AxCrypt Business.  I needed to encrypt the “Documents” and “Download” user folders for users that are “computer stupid”

When trying to encrypt the folder “Documents” we had the following problem and it stops and does not encrypt the files.

We had the problem with Windows 10 Home on 2 computers saying that access is denied on a non-existent folder.

When trying to encrypt “my documents” folder the operation failed with “Access Denied ” on Documents\My Music”

there was no folder called My Music showing in the documents folder.

I checked to show hidden folders – no folder of that name showed.

opened dos box and did a dir in the documents folder – My Music not listed.

went back to windows explorer and tried to create new My Music folder and it said it already exists – do i want to merge the folders. did that but all it did was create a new folder called “New Folder”

tried chkdsk /f on the disk – same problem.

I then found the dos command “dir /al” when i ran that it showed the ghost folders,

documents\my music

documents\my pictures

documents\my videos

I was able to use the following MS Junction.exe procedure to correct the problem.

Download and run Junction.exe
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction

to delete the folders “documents\my music”, “documents\my pictures”, “documents\my videos”
    run: junction -d <path>
    example: junction -d “c:\users\user name\documents\my music”

After doing that i was able to run & encrypt the entire documents folder.

#10170 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jim,

We’ll try to reproduce this, it has to do with how Windows sets up these library folders. AxCrypt should not have a problem with non-existing library folders.

Thank you for sharing!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Access denied when trying to encrypt Documents folder
Your information: