Forums Help & support Axcrypt Excel File Disappeared

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Amara Smith 5 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

questionfile

Using Axcrypt 1.72 I was editing an Excel file. I hit save maybe 50 times. Some time after that, the axcrypt.exe crashed and for some reason the original .axx had not updated? was my file before I’d saved 50 times.

How is that possible – how do I recover it?

#5604 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello questionfile,

Here’s how AxCrypt works:

1. When you open a file, it is decrypted to a temporary location, and then Excel is launched to open that temporary file.

2. When AxCrypt (which stays resident) detects that Excel is exited, it takes the temporary file and re-encrypts it back to the original location and then wipes the temporary decrypted file.

If AxCrypt crashes or is killed between 1. and 2. it can’t perform step 2, and while you’re saving the Excel file to the temporary location the encrypted original file won’t get updated.

However, the temporary file is still there, so if you notice this you can manually find it. With AxCrypt 2 it also detects that there’s an ‘orphan’ decrypted file, and you can click the clean ‘broom’ icon for example to get the decrypted file re-encrypted and update the encrypted file.

#5605 Reply

questionfile

Thanks. So is that in /temp/axcrypt1/? because there is no file there unfortunately. If it is .tmp what do you do with it?

#5606 Reply

questionfile

I’ve found a .tmp in axcrypt one but I can’t do anything with it – I can’t copy it or rename it because it’s in use. Of course if I close the axcrypt.exe it will delete the file probably.

#5612 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello questionfile,

AxCrypt 2 uses %localappdata%\axcrypt for working files, settings and temporaries (and subdirectories thereunder).

From what you write, it seems you’re running AxCrypt 1? The tmp file you are referring it likely just working memory for AxCrypt if it’s AxCrypt 1 and does not contain any file data.

#6368 Reply

Flynn

I have the same problem. Axcrypt has a lost the current version of a report with a statutory deadline that I’ve been working on for around 12 hours. I use Axcrypt 1. Can I recover it or not?

#6370 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Flynn,

First of all – AxCrypt 1.x is unsupported unmaintained software. That being said, as long as you’ve not restarted the PC the file is still available in the temporary location mentioned in earlier posts.

#6372 Reply

Flynn

Thanks for the help. I’ve found it, even though I had restarted the PC twice. There were quite a few other files in there too. I’ll be sure to check regularly and delete now that I know this is happening.

#13413 Reply

Amara Smith

Before Excel can be overwritten, you can restore them by restoring the previous version, AutoRecover, and Recent Option.

#13414 Reply

Amara Smith

I just saw this after Google search: https://www.fonecope.com/recover-unsaved-excel-file.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Axcrypt Excel File Disappeared
Your information: