Forums Community AxCrypt File Encryption has stopped working

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Renji

Renji
    I am having problem decrypting files using AxCrypt online manager on Windows 10. It pops up a message: “AxCrypt File Encryption has stopped working”
    What should I do to decrypt my files?

#4205 Reply

Renji

adding to my previous message. It also pops up a message–> ”C:\pathname\filename-txt.axx’ is not an AxCrypt file.

What should I do?

#4206 Reply

Renji

adding to my previous two messages. When I choose to debug from the error options, I get a new Window popping up named on the header as “‘Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger”‘

And error message is ”An unhandled Microsoft .Net Framework exception occurred in AxCrypt.exe [9640].”

and under “‘Possible Debuggers”I get this option to choose:  “New instance of Microsoft Visual Studio 2015”

Below

checkbox1: Set the currenctly selected debugger as the default.

Checkbox1: Manually choose the debugging engines.

Do you want to debut using the selected debugger?

Yes/No buttons

Please help urgent to resolve the issue.

#4213 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Renji,

You’ve posted and send this question through a variety of channels, but for now we’ll stick to this thread in responding unless we ask you to use another channel. If you respond or post via other channels, we will *not* respond.

Please open the Event Viewer and examine the log for the time when this happens, and post the contents of the error log (unless it’s already clear from that what the problem is).

You can also check %localappdata%\AxCrypt\ReportSnapshot.txt, and post it here (possibly with any personal information redacted).

#4237 Reply

Renji

Hi Svante Keymaster,

From Event Viewer, I could capture this:

– System

– Provider

[ Name] Windows Error Reporting

– EventID 1001

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

– TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-09-29T06:26:42.071836100Z

EventRecordID 8358

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-CAD2V7H

Security

– EventData

CLR20r3
    Not available
    AxCrypt.exe
    57e7d2eb
    AxCrypt
    57e7d2eb
    c4a
    EVUSJEMGLPU5IXVJNDKCC3FIRG4DODYU

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA8AB.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_AxCrypt.exe_1BQZKqdp2CV3QV5nUEsqSg1ygegLmqRygj_85d0c1cb_096ebdb9

1d81ef99-286d-482f-9e7c-48eeaa498746
    3810faf45bd6002218fa99938096a66a

…………………………………………………………………………..

And here’s the information from Appdata txt file as instructed by you:

This is a snapshop report of detected errors in AxCrypt. Please copy all of this text and e-mail to:

To: support@axcrypt.net
    Subject: AxCrypt Report Snapshot

———– Exception at 2016-09-27 11:36:33Z ———–
    Axantum.AxCrypt.Common.OfflineApiException: Internet Unavailable GET https://account.axcrypt.net/api/global/apiversion
    at Axantum.AxCrypt.Mono.RestCaller.<SendAsync>d__1.MoveNext()
    — End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at Axantum.AxCrypt.Api.ApiCaller.<RestAsync>d__1.MoveNext()
    — End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at Axantum.AxCrypt.Api.GlobalApiClient.<ApiVersionAsync>d__12.MoveNext()

#4239 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

Thank you! But need more info still…

Can you try to export your event log and send it to support att axcrypt dott net ?

Here’s how. Open the Event Viewer.

Right-click the Application node.

Select ‘Save All Events As’.

Save with a name, for examle ‘Events’

If you can, select to save Display Information in English:

Klick ‘Ok’.

Then go to where you saved the file, right-click it and compress it.

If the original was named ‘Events.evtx’, the compressed file is ‘Events.zip’.

Send this as a attachement to support att axcrypt dott net . Then I can have a comprehensive look at what can be found there.

#4618 Reply

Mark

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as Renji above.

I have been very pleased with Axcrypt on my  Acer Aspire computer using Windows 7 Starter And Axcrypt version 1,7xxxx.

I downloaded Axcrypt 3.xxx to my HP Pavilion using Windows 8.1.  It installed fine but does not work:”“AxCrypt File Encryption has stopped working””

I am looking for event viewer and will try to follow your instructions to Renji. To what email address should I send the event viewer record?

But it occurs to me that you already have the solution to this problem from studying Renji’s event viewer record.

Please adsvise.

#4627 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Mark!

Please see our FAQ at http://www.axcrypt.net/ – it is most likely that you have a problem with something called Lavasoft Web Companion, which is incompatible with Windows (not AxCrypt, it’s entirely a Lavasoft/Windows problem, but it impacts AxCrypt).

We have been in contact with Lavasoft, and they say they are unable to fix it(!) and recommend uninstallation of Web Companion.

#4632 Reply

Mark

Thank you for your quick reply.

I removed Web Companion and am pleased that I can now continue the excellent freeware Axcrypt to which I am accustomed. I didn’t even know that the adware program Web Companion was on my system. Thank you!!

#4635 Reply

Mark

After removing the adware program I got Axcrypt to turn on. But either it is different now or I am using it wrong. To encrypt a test file I had to go through a process of logging on to axcrypt.net. I do not believe I ever had an account there.

Anyway, I went through the “forgot password” process and got into the site and set a new password — a password that I thought was for entering the website to enable Axcrypt . However, when I returned to encrypt a test file it looks like now this password for entering the website is also now used for file encryption. This is not what I had hoped for.

It looks like I must use the password registered at Axcrypt website to encrypt files. Also, the new Axcrypt menu does not offer the choice of using a keyfile for encryption.

With the old Axcrypt I encrypt files using a password (or a key file at my choice) that has never been written down or stored anywhere except my memory and that I can change at will.  Also, in the old system, I could encrypt different files using different passwords. Now it seems I have only one encryption password and I must go to the website to change it. The website says there’s “never any requirement to register,” and that’s how it was before, but I think no longer. I don’t want my encryption password floating about in cyberspace no matter how secure. I hope I can somehow use Axcrypt the new as I used the old system.

Also, in the old system, I could encrypt different files using different passwords. Now it seems I have only one encryption password and I must go to the website to change it.

#4638 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Mark,

Yes, AxCrypt 2 works a little differently than AxCrypt 1 – but it’s essentially the same thing. Yes, we’ve moved to a “single password” model. We feel this is a much better and safer system. Please read http://www.axcrypt.net/blog/use-of-different-passwords/ for a longer discussion and explanation of this.

Keyfiles have also been discontinued due to very low usage, and high risk of loss.

The “never any requirement to register” is indeed from the old website concerning the old software, however it’s still true. You can run AxCrypt 2 entirely in offline mode by either denying it access to the Internet, or starting it with the –offline switch. In this case no registration is required (although we still ask you for something that looks like an email address).

We’ve made some large changes in order to increase the ease-of-use, and reduce the risk of data loss as well as encouraging the use of a single, but stronger, password.

Sometimes it’s time to rethink old ways of doing things, and this is one of the we think!

#5067 Reply

wayburn

Hi Svante!

I’m having a similar problem and hope you can help. I did a clean windows 7 install in Nov 2016 and then installed then current AxCrypt 2.1.1389.0.  At first I was able to open  old AxCrypt files using the login, but today I get the message “File encryption for .NET and Mono has stopped”  It goes on to say Windows will give me a solution when one is found.

I’ve searched for both Lavasoft and Web Companion and didn’t find either.  I haven’t found the switch for running off-line, and disconnecting from the internet results in a password error (!).

I have numerous AxCrypt encrypted files that I need access to.  Hope you can help!

Thanks,

Wayburn

#5069 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Wayburn,

To run AxCrypt online, start it from the command line with the switch:

–offline

(Note the double dashes).

I sincerely doubt that disconnecting from the Internet would cause a password error. Please verify this by copying and pasting the password you know is correct, with and without Internet.

Finally, if you’d like further help, please send us a complete error report like this: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/send-complete-error-report/ .

#6957 Reply

Sonia

I have sort of the same problem

Every time i go to open a file which i have encrypted i get the following message:

AxCrypt File Encryption has stopped working

A problem cause the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available.

I get nothing back and cant open my files, please help

thanks

#6958 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Sonia,

The same problem is likely to have the same solution. Start by ensuring that you have the most recent version of AxCrypt installed. Get it from https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .

Read the FAQ concerning the most common reason for the problem, and fix that if applicable.

If it sill does not work, please follow the instructions here: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/send-complete-error-report/ .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: AxCrypt File Encryption has stopped working
Your information: