Forums Bugs & issues AxCrypt freezes when I try to log in

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nina 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Nina

After typing in my password, the application freezes and forces me to close it. I have recently changed my password.

#2985 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

This is Svante from AxCrypt! What version of AxCrypt are you running? The following applies to version 2.1.1388 or later. If you have an earlier version, please upgrade first.

Please do the following (which resets your user settings and your recent files list, but will not affect your encrypted files or anything else):

Stop AxCrypt (kill it from Task Manager if need be).
    Use Windows Explorer and navigate to %localappdata%\axcrypt\ .
    Create a folder there named for example ‘Broken’.
    Move all *.txt files to the newly created folder ‘Broken’, drag and drop works fine.
    Start AxCrypt again

You should now have to enter your e-mail again, but then go directly to the password dialog. There is no need to verify again. AxCrypt will resynchronize settings and your AxCrypt ID with the server (that’s why we have the Internet-connection requirement for the first installation on a new PC), and you should be ok again.

If this works, I’d appreciate if you could e-mail the files you moved to the Broken folder to me for analysis. There’s nothing really sensitive in them, but they may contain the encrypted file names of recent files, as well as your e-mail address. If this is problem, you can redact that manually before sending them, since they are just text files you can edit and view them with Notepad or any text editor.

Please send them to Svante dot Seleborg at axcrypt dot net .

Best regards,

Svante

#3254 Reply

Nina

Hi thanks for that. It finally works now! However, all the passwords were not synced… I can’t remember the password for my encrypted files :( Is there a way in which I am able to decrypt without needing to retype the password for all of these encrypted files?

#3255 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Nina,

Glad it’s starting to work. Do not forget to update to the latest version also.

Not sure I understand the following which you write: “I can’t remember the password for my encrypted files :( Is there a way in which I am able to decrypt without needing to retype the password for all of these encrypted files?“.

If you can’t remember your password, that’s a problem. You need to remember it.

The other part about retyping I do not understand, can you explain further what the problem is?

Svante

#3256 Reply

Nina

What I’m trying to say is that when I try to decrypt a file, it prompts me to type in the file password for which I have forgotten. I thought that it would be my account password but for some reason it is not?

#3257 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

Ok, well the thing with encryption is that if you don’t know the password, you can’t decrypt. There’s no way to bypass that, that’s what the whole thing is for. That’s what makes encryption different from access control.

You need to remember what password you used when you originally encrypted the file(s).

Svante

#3826 Reply

Roberto Gallerani

Axcrypt V.2.1.1434.0
    Windows 7 SP 1 last update 25/07/2016

Having axcrypt correctly connected and functioning, when the PC goes in save screen with password protection, when i return back to the desktop and i try to open a protected file or i open the axcrypt panel (it would have to ask me the password again), the program hangs up with the classic message in the window title “not responding” and it must be killed. Of course restarting it or opening a protected file, after password introduction, all is again active correctly. I’ve tried to remove files in %localappdata%\axcrypt\, restart and repeat the actions described above, but nothing has changed. If you need the files in %localappdata%\axcrypt\ at the occuring time, please tell me the email to send.

Last but not least, congrats for your great  job ….

Roberto

#3830 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for reporting this. Can you perhaps email the files in %localappdata%\axcrypt\ to svante dott seleborg att axcrypt dott net ?

FYI – it’s vacation time so it might be a few weeks until we can respond.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: AxCrypt freezes when I try to log in
Your information: