Forums Bugs & issues AxCrypt-Mac-2.2.381.0 disappears post launch

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John Harris 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

John B. Harris

I used almost every beta version of the Mac software and LOVED it!     However upon installing the release version — AxCrypt-Mac-2.2.381.0 — and launching the program it immediately disappears and does not stay loaded.    Launching the program again and again produces same result.   AxCrypt does not show in FORCE QUIT.   I uninstalled AxCrypt using AppZapper and reinstalled with same results.  Very odd behavior.

Ironically, all of the beta’s worked fine.    It’s the release version that isn’t working!

Many kind thank you’s in advance.

P.S. running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

#7602 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello John,

Thanks for letting us know. That is indeed very strange… We’ve not seen that behavior at all. We’ll investigate during the day. What has changed of any significance in the released version is that we’re building with a new toolset, there could be an issue with that. Stay tuned. We’ll fix asap.

#7636 Reply

Fardayek

Same problem here also. Please fix it.

#7637 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Fardayek and others,

We are working on it! The problem right now is to reproduce it.

#7639 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello!

If any of you having these problems are interested, We have a release candidate build available that tries to adress some startup issues. We are not sure if it will help, because we have not really been able to reproduce the issue.

To get this version, please send an email to support att axcrypt dott net and request it.

#7641 Reply

John Harris

Out of desperation I thought I would install AxCrypt-Mac-2.2.381.0 on another Mac of mine that had never had any of the AxCrypt betas installed and interestingly it works fine!   So is there perhaps something that the betas did to the registry — sorry I know that is a Windoze term — or the like that might be causing this release version to not load properly??

#7643 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello John,

Thanks for the input. That’s our main problem – all the machines we try it on it works. Our theory is that it’s a timing issue (also known as a race condition) that sometimes causes problems with the startup, which is asynchronous – i.e. several things are happening in the background at the same time we’re displaying the initial UI etc.

If you’re interested, please send a request for the release candidate mentioned above.

Please note – it’s not regression tested, it’s right off our build server.

#7646 Reply

John Harris

Thank you!   Good news is release candidate build AxCrypt-Mac-2.2.392.0 gets farther than AxCrypt-Mac-2.2.381.0 in that AxCrypt at least now shows up in the dock.   Bad news is that it goes no further.   I.e. clicking on the docked AxCrypt does nothing. Also when you click on the docked AxCrypt icon “AxCrypt” shows up at the top left; but clicking on that results in nothing.

Thank you for your diligence in fixing this!

#7648 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello John,

Would you please try the following:

Quit / Force Quit AxCrypt.

Use Finder and go to $HOME/.local/share/AxCrypt and delete all files there. Start AxCrypt. If it does not work, Quit / Force Quit it again, and go back to $HOME/.local/share/AxCrypt and send us the file ReportSnapshot.txt if it exists to support att axcrypt dott net.

#7650 Reply

John Harris

Voilà that fixed it!     As you recommended, I deleted the files under: $HOME/.local/share/AxCrypt and it works perfect now!     THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

#7651 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello John & others,

Great to hear! Would it be possible for you to get those files from the trash and send them to support att axcrypt dott net ? They do not contain any sensitive information. At most, they contain the path and names to your list of recent encrypted files. I would like to see if I can reproduce the issue here to fix it for real.

Anybody else with the same problem – if you can send the text files in $HOME/.local/shared/AxCrypt to support att axcrypt dott net it would be great to aid us understand the issue.

#7654 Reply

John Harris

I am very sorry but I already emptied my trash.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: AxCrypt-Mac-2.2.381.0 disappears post launch
Your information: