Forums Help & support Axcrypt Not Securing Encryted File

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TexasVet 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TexasVet

I just installed Axcrypt for the first time so this may be user error. I encrypted a file then I went to Explorer and double clicked on the encryted file and it opened the unencrypted version without prompting me for a password. How is that possible? Does that mean that anyone can view my file simply by double clicking on it?

#7505 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello TexasVet,

AxCrypt 2 works just like your email software or most other password-protected systems. You sign in once, and remain signed in until signed out. Just like you can read many emails without entering the password every time, AxCrypt will do the same. The files are still encrypted, but your password is remembered until you sign out of AxCrypt.

Please check the FAQ at https://forum.axcrypt.net/support/faq/ for more information.

AxCrypt stays signed in until signed out, just like most similar applications such as your email. Once signed in, you can read, write and update information without having to re-enter the password, until signed out. AxCrypt will automatically sign out when the screen saver goes active, or you can sign out manually.

Please read more in our blog: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/leaving-computer-axcrypt/

#7506 Reply

Damnation

The number of people asking this is ridiculous.

It’s absolutely not the users’ fault and nor is it AxCrypt’s – it’s just the new paradigm which causes confusion because it’s not explained within AxCrypt.

I conclude that issue #326 should be upgraded from Critical to Blocker.

It’s only a simple information dialog and would vastly reduce the number of queries and reduce dissatisfaction from users who don’t understand how it works.

https://bitbucket.org/axantum/axcrypt-net/issues/326/add-information-dialog-when-a-file-is

#7507 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Damnation,

You are quite right, the only thing is that we reserve “blocker” for things that really are blockers, i.e. things that essentially require a release immediately.

In any case, it should be part of the next release, in a week or two.

Actually, it’s not all about the changing paradigm – the option has been there all the time in AxCrypt 1, just not as default (which is perhaps what you meant) and we received quite a few support issues about it then too.

#7508 Reply

Damnation

I never used the option “Remember this for decryption” in version 1.

In version 2 it caught me out too until I spotted the option to Sign Out which I used to refresh my account after I upgraded to Premium.

The sooner that gets released, the better, it’ll stop many questions. Lots of bold and underlined text to hammer the point home to new users.

#7509 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

:-)

#7510 Reply

TexasVet

Thank you for the quick response. I now understand how it works better.  As a newbie I have to say that I agree with the other commentors that this should be made explicit so there will be fewer confused users. Thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Axcrypt Not Securing Encryted File
Your information: