Forums Help & support Axcrypt on Microsoft OneDrive

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Felix 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve

Can Axcrypt encrypt a folder on OneDrive? That is to say can one simply select and encrypt a folder on OneDrive? without effecting any other file or folder even on the PC hard driver?

What I wish to do is copy folders from my Documents to OneDrive for backup purposes and then encrypt them there thus ensuring their security. Then in the unlikely event I need them call on them decrypt them there and then download back to my PC or another device.

#7606 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Steve,

AxCrypt will encrypt any file that “looks like a file in a folder” on your computer. This is how most apps work with files. Very few have direct support for specific providers. For cloud service providers, this is typically done by synchronizing the cloud storage with a “mirror” folder on your computer. AxCrypt will happily encrypt those files, in the synchronized local copy. These will then become synchronized with the cloud and all is well.

#7607 Reply

Steve

Hi Svante

Let me play this back to you:

All I need do is:

1. Create a folder on my PC drive then designate it as an encrypted folder.
    2. Then link it to a mirror version on my OneDrive. Is this done automatically?
    3. Then just copy any folder I want to backup onto this encrypted folder and it then synchs. with its mirror folder on my OneDrive.
    4. Then I can access the OneDrive Mirror folder from another PC and with AxCrypt installed and the same password then gain access to the backup files.

Is that it?

#7609 Reply

Felix

It depends on how you’re using OneDrive Steve as Microsoft give you a couple of options:

• Cloud only (file/s will be downloaded on demand – they use a symbolic link)
    • Mirrored (exact replica – files in cloud and on hard drive)

To encrypt your files you need to use the second option and then encrypt the contents of each and every folder.

The other method is to create a local folder (like <Encrypted Files>) and then tell AxCrypt to designate it as a Secure Folder if you’re a premium customer. This method is more suitable if you’ve only got a few sensitive files or you don’t mind the folder structure. There’s nothing to stop you having sub-folders within <Encrypted Files> such as <Receipts>, <Photos> and so on – you need to activate the recursive option within AxCrypt.

This is the inherent difficultly of insecure cloud services; encrypting files can be a pain.

The more appropriate option is to use a fully encrypted cloud service but these are expensive and you might not want to change.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Axcrypt on Microsoft OneDrive
Your information: