Forums Help & support Axcrypt Password

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Daniel Dalton

Hello,

I installed Axcrypt a couple months ago, foolishly, I created a long password without writing it down… only I remembered the password and wrote it down later, I had no problem logging into my locked files. But for some odd reason one day I couldn’t with the password I had, so I freaked out and went to the website and changed my password, thinking foolishly that it would change the password for already existing files… sadly, however, it appears that is not how it works. Even though I still have the original password for the previous encryptions, its impossible for me to unlock them… and that was nearly hundreds of important files and documents, I am truly at a loss, Axcrypt was supposed to protect my files, not protect them from me! There has to be a way to recover these files, I simply can no longer accept that the hundreds of files I have locked are forever encrypted.

Thanks,
    Dan

#10897 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Daniel,

If the file was encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, then you have to enter the file password while viewing/decrypting the encrypted file.

Password Reset is not a way to recover encrypted files! It’s only to allow you to sign in to the AxCrypt app and web.

For Example: Try to encrypt a file with your AxCrypt password and then reset your AxCrypt account password using Reset Password Feature. Now if you open the encrypted file, you will be prompted for enter the file password (which is used for encryption of the file).

So the encrypted files before password resetting, holding the old password. Now you have to enter the old password to decrypt/open the AxCrypt encrypted files which are all encrypted before the password reset.

Newly encrypted files after resetting, holding the new password. So You can open/decrypt the newly encrypted files without entering your file password.

AxCrypt is file encryption with no backdoor.

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design. it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

If you think you almost know the password, we have simple software allowing you to try to find your password, and you can download the most recent version from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe and read of how to use it at https://forum.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ . Please note that we cannot provide support beyond this.

So try to decrypt your AxCrypt encrypted file(s) with the original file password which was used in the file encryption.

#10922 Reply

shaire

I have used axcrypt free version for years with no trouble at all.  Then a month or so ago it began bugging me to pay for it.  I assumed that my old files would remain in my control but that for the future, maybe I would need a paid subscription.  When I went to my old files, my password would no longer work and again it stated that I must have a paid subscription to open them.

I consider this to be very fraudulent, basically holding my files hostage until I pay to have the free version ones paid for.   Please tell me if I’m overlooking something.

shaire

#10927 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello shaire,

This is incorrect. We *never* require payment to decrypt any file on the PC or Windows. Period. You write: “it stated that I must have a paid subscription to open them“. This is simply not true (unless you’re trying to decrypt via the mobile apps, they do require the Premium plan – but they can’t encrypt, they are only extended viewers for files encrypted with the desktop version). The mobile app has never been free (with the exception of a third party app, since many years withdrawn, for iOS).

So, there is definitely something you’re overlooking

You’ve probably upgraded from version 1 to version 2. Version has a Premium plan, with additional features for pay. When you first download and start it you’re offered the option to try the Premium plan for one month (in your case, you actually got three months because you activated the trial perid by signing in to the legacy site for axantum ;-) ).. It doesn’t actually “bug you to pay”, that’s also incorrect. It does note that some features require payment. But not decryption. Never. We do not hold files hostage for payment, that’d make AxCrypt ransomware – and that we’re definitely not!

Please provide screen shots of where you’re actually stuck. You do *not* need to pay anything to decrypt and open your files.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Axcrypt Password
Your information: