Forums Help & support axcrypt signin password vs choosing a passphrase for specific file

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Terry 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jay

I just downloaded Axcrypt 2. Somewhere in some initial setup it wanted an email address and a password. If I’m reading the discussions correctly, will that password I use to sign into Axcrypt  also be the passphrase for each file that I encrypt, i.e. some “global passphrase” ?

If that is the case and I wanted to send 2 different encrypted files to 2 separate people wouldn’t they be able to open each other’s file because when they open it they would enter the same passphrase when prompted. It seems that I have some basic misunderstanding.

In my previous use of Axcrypt (probably an older version) when I went to encrypt a file it would ask for a passphrase for that file only.

Please advise, and explain at a very elementary level.

Thanks,

Jay

#6112 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jay,

Yes, AxCrypt 2 uses a single password for all encryption and decryption.

However, we added a new cool way to share encrypted files with others instead of sharing passwords.

You can now use our key sharing feature, where you simply add the recipients emails to the list of people you want the file to open for. They will now be able to open the file with their own password, you do not need to share passwords any more!

You’ll still have to send the file to the recipient(s), we don’t do that.

#6113 Reply

Jay

So that would require the premium level of the product?

#6114 Reply

Frank

So that would require the premium level of the product?

Yes.

In order to share files with another you need to be a Premium customer (there’s a free trial available).

To receive shared files your friends don’t need to pay anything – they can be Free customers.

• With AxCrypt 2 you only have one password (yours).
    • If you need to share a file with a friend, you press share, type in their email address and you’re done.
    • All you need to do then is email the encrypted file to them or upload it to Google Drive / OneDrive.
    • AxCrypt recognises that you’ve shared the file with them and the file will be decrypted.
    #6116 Reply

Jay

I am a very light user i.e. one or 2 files in a year.  Can I email someone an encrypted file and just tell them the password. One person has  Acrypt, another does not. So for the one who doesn’t have Axcrypt  can I still send them an encrypted file by creating an exe form file as in the old version?

#6117 Reply

Terry

Can I email someone an encrypted file and just tell them the password.

No. With AxCrypt 2 you only have one password and that unlocks all your other files therefore giving out your password compromises your security.

You’re welcome to use AxCrypt 1.7 because it still works although it’s no longer being developed. If you need to download it again this is the website.

There are some reasons why you should avoid self-encrypting files, chief of these being:

• Windows SmartScreen will prevent recipients from opening your EXE file by giving them a scary warning. They can bypass this at their own risk.
    • Internet Security products tend to block or even delete EXE files which are not digitally signed because they’re considered a security risk. Other times the antivirus will block it on the basis that it’s encrypted – a common method spreading viruses.
    • Most commercial email providers (Google and Hotmail) have blocked EXE files from being sent with their services. Even if your email provider allows you to send an EXE, can your recipient receive it?

The Programmer-in-Chief of AxCrypt has written a blog entry on why you should avoid them but if you have a use for the EXE file then you’ll have to download AxCrypt 1.7

https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/avoid-self-decrypting-files/

#6118 Reply

Jay

A- If I have the free Axcrypt 2 version :

1. I can encrypt it but its only for my use

2. If I want to send it to someone I need the premium version

B. If I download the previous version then I can encrypt, put a passphrase on, and send it to someone

Does that sum it up?

#6119 Reply

Terry

Does that sum it up?

Yes, you got it :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: axcrypt signin password vs choosing a passphrase for specific file
Your information: