Forums Community Can Axcrypt be used with Win10 Controlled folder access enabled? If so, how?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BobS 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

BobS

The Controlled folder access feature of Windows Defender in Windows 10 is supposed to protect against ransomware, so I have it enabled. In general, when it’s enabled, Microsoft apps are permitted to save and change files, but non-Microsoft apps are not. The latter, however, can be added by navigating to the applicable executable files and selecting them. I’ve done that successfully with a number of my apps. But alone of all of my apps, Axcrypt continues to be prevented by Controlled folder access from accessing files, whether to encrypt or decrypt them, even though I selected the executables in the same manner that I followed in connection with my other apps. In order to continue using Axcrypt, I therefore first have to turn off Controlled folder access.

The Axantum\Axcrypt folder contains three exe files, and I added all three of them to the apps that Controlled folder access is supposed to allow, so I don’t think I’m overlooking anything there.

I might add that when I use the Windows search function to look for the location of “axcrypt.exe” on my machine, I get the result “No items match your search,” which is very strange, because the file is sitting right there in C:\Program Files\Axantum\AxCrypt. I don’t know why Search can’t find it there, or whether that inability is at all related to the problem I’m having. I just mention it for whatever it’s worth.

Does anyone have any idea why I’m having this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Can Axcrypt be used with Win10 Controlled folder access enabled? If so, how?
Your information: