Forums Community Can I Require Password Everytime?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gary

This is my first post to the forum; I apologize if this has been asked before.

I recently upgraded to Axcrypt 2. My previous version of Axcrypt required me to enter a password every time I opened a protected file. The new version seems to keep me logged in and does not require a password (unless I log out). I hate this feature.

Is there a setting I can change to require a password every time I open a new file in the new version?

Thanks for any guidance.

#5446 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Gary,

Yes, it’s been asked before ;-)

There’s an issue for it, so it’s on the to-do list. See https://bitbucket.org/axantum/axcrypt-net/issues/186/add-option-for-requiring-password-every .

#5449 Reply

William

Here’s a workaround until the feature is implemented.

#5453 Reply

Gary

Thanks very much for the update guys. I will keep checking back to see if you’ve checked it off your to do list. And I’ll try to figure out the workaround in the meantime. Thank you again.

#5477 Reply

Rudi

On the to do list, how long will this take then?

I really hate this feature, I use different paswords for banking-private-word-excel files and super private files.

#5478 Reply

Gupter

The way I understand it Rudi is that the feature to use unique passwords for every file is not being introduced. What the developer is doing is introducing the feature to require your master password entry every time.

If having a different password per file is important to you then I suggest you look at other software such as 7-Zip, GnuPG or BCArchive.

#5479 Reply

Rudi

I don’t understand they do not listen to people, I tried to reinstall the old version and that does not even works anymore now.

I was so pleased with axcrypt before, but now…..

#5484 Reply

Adam

Rudi – try uninstalling AxCrypt 2 and then reinstall AxCrypt 1.7. The two programs don’t work with each other.

#5492 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rudi,

We do listen, trust me, we do. However, we do not have unlimited resources, and must prioritize. We may not agree on the priorities, but that’s up to us. Or to you – AxCrypt is open source, add the feature you want, or pay someone to do it for you if you don’t have the skills personally. Then ask us to add it to the product which we may do if it’s a good change or for example something on our own to-do list that you just can’t wait for us to fix.

About different passwords. Unfortunately, this is just plain not a good idea. Please consider – what is really the benefit of using a weak password for anything? What is the harm in using a strong password for everything?

About reverting from 2.1.x to 1.7.x. You should decrypt all files opened with AxCrypt 2, as the file format is automatically upgraded and this file format is not recognized by AxCrypt 1.7.x. Then, re-encrypt with the old version afterwards.

#5493 Reply

Rudi

Thank you for your respons here, but I wil bounce the question back to you what is the harm in using different strong paswords? At least when one is broken the other is still standing.

Some files are incrypted due to privacy but one other person can use them to, but has no access to the other files, paswords..

#5494 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rudi,

The harm in using different strong passwords is that it makes it harder to use. This increases the threshold. However, that’s not what you stated initially. You wrote: “I use different paswords for banking-private-word-excel files and super private files“. The superlative ‘super’ I took to mean that you had assigned different ‘security levels’ to these files. ‘Private’ and ‘super private’ so to speak. I don’t see any harm in making all the files benefit from the ‘super private’ level. With AxCrypt 2 that’s really easy to do – in fact it’s pretty much the only way to do it!

The other scenario, sharing with other persons, is implemented in AxCrypt 2 using public key cryptography made really easy to use. You share the key to the file with another AxCrypt user by adding his or her email to the list of recipients, and he or she can open it with their own password. No need to share passwords.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Can I Require Password Everytime?
Your information: