Forums Help & support Can I separately encrypt a file?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rajpal 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rajpal

Good morning! I am using the latest version of AxCrypt which uses a single password to encrypt/decrypt everything (very nice and simple!) I have given my assistant my PW so that she can access files on my machine as needed when I am traveling. Is it possible to keep certain private files/folder protected with an additional PW so that she cannot open them? Currently, she can access EVERYTHING on my machine. Thank you!

#7407 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rajpal,

Never, ever, share your personal password to anything – least of all AxCrypt!

You should be using key sharing to securely share access to encrypted files with your assistant, probably along with one or more secured folders.

This way, you just add your assistants AxCrypt ID Account email to the list of recipients, and then (s)he opens the files with his/her own password.

Please check tutorials, blog posts, getting started etc on https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .

#7408 Reply

Rajpal

Dear SVante,

Thank you for your words of caution,  in general I wholeheartedly agree! However, in my office I need my assistant to have full access to my machine in case a client needs a file quickly while I am away. I have a private machine at home, but the office machine is different. Nevertheless, there are some file (personnel files, for example) that she should not see. I have thought about using a folder hiding program, but am scared that it might someday conflict with Axcrypt result in a massive corruption event – disaster! Two encryption/hiding programs on one machine scares me! I just need Axcrypt to allow me to give certain files an additional PW.

Any ideas? Anyone?

#7409 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rajpal,

For your encrypted files, the key sharing option is still the right way to go. Your assistant should not use your password, even to log in to windows and access your physical machine. She should have her own user in your machine, and you should give permissions to her user for the files she should be able to access, and for encrypted files she’ll need both access permissions from Windows and you to key share the encrypted files in question.

#7410 Reply

Rajpal

Thank you, again, for your sage advice, Svante.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Can I separately encrypt a file?
Your information: