Forums Help & support Can not open my encripted file after Windows 10 restore

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sep

Hi,

I had to restore my Windows 10 but now I can not open my AxCrypt file.

The error message is telling me that the file has the wrong file extension but this is not true. It’s “.axx”

Before that I log in successfully on my AxCrypt app on my computer (email + password).

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.
    Sep.

#11079 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Sep,

The most common reason for decryption problems after a Windows restore or re-installation is that the file is (sometimes also) encrypted with Windows Encrypting File System, EFS. This is typically indicated by the file name being shown with green text in Windows Explorer, and the error message ‘Access Denied’.

In your case, you say you get “wrong file extension”, but say it is “.axx”. This can be caused for example by manual renaming of a file, while at the same time having file extensions hidden in Windows. The actual name might then be “My File.axx.txt” – but Windows only shows “My File.axx”.

Please send a screen shot of both the file in question in Windows Explorer, as well as the AxCrypt windows including the error message you get.

#11115 Reply

Sep

Dear Svante,

I’m not sure any more about all the thinks I’ve done/tried the last couple of days on my laptop after restoring Windows 10.

The error message opening the AxCrypt file is gone. I can now use it again without problems.

Anyway thank you very very much for your quick reply and you effort!

Regards,

Sep

#11116 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Sep,

I am happy it worked out for you! Good luck.

#13521 Reply

Gary Grathen

Hello. I also have a problem opening AxCrypt after a Windows 10 restore, but with different symptoms.

I encrypted many files in the past, using AxCrypt-2.1.1547.0 and then AxCrypt-2.1.1560.0.  Both worked fine.

I installed the current version (AxCrypt-2.1.1573.0) on my Windows 10 laptop.  It also worked fine for a day or two, then suddenly stopped working.  I right-click on files and see the options, including “encrypt” and “decrypt” but neither those nor the other AxCrypt options work, no error message.  When I click on the AxCrypt icon in the Start menu, it just does nothing, and does not appear in Task Manager.

The standalone AxCrypt exe file also does nothing when I open it.

The encrypted files are not green and show the entire extension with axx.

I’ve been researching the problems reported in your fora, and have been troubleshooting using different methods for the last two days … to no avail.

Please let me know if you have any advice.

Thanks,

Gary Grathen

grathen@earthlink.net

386-795-4502

#13540 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Gary,

It may be because of some third party applications or any firewalls(like antivirus software and etc) are blocking the AxCrypt application and its files. So please checkout those applications or firewall(antivirus) settings.

Please check which version(AxCrypt 1.x and AxCrypt 2.x) of AxCrypt app you are using? if you are using both the versions, please uninstall the AxCrypt 1.x.

Also check your operating system pending updates. If any available, please update it. or try to install the latest version(above v4.5) of dot net framework.

If the above does not help, please provide detailed information(including complete error report also) about the issue and send to our support(support@axcrypt.net).

Please avoid sending the same query in  more than one mediums. You might be getting duplicate responses.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Can not open my encripted file after Windows 10 restore
Your information: